Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mennonite Moms

Today I spent the day hanging out with Mennonites. It was quite a fascinating experience. I had recently met one at my school who has three boys similar to my son's age. They invited me over for lunch and to attend a service. I've always been fascinated by sub-cultures and couldn't resist the opportunity to learn more about them.
While their dress may make them look overly conservative or unapproachable they were actually one of the friendliest groups of people I've met. The thing that I liked the most was how kid-friendly their entire setup was. Since Mennonites tend to have large families the place was flooded with kids. No one minded if my son blurted out or rustled around in his seat a little. It was quite a welcome change to be somewhere that kids were able to be kids.

No comments: