Friday, April 11, 2008

Human Contact

As moms, we always hear about the importance of making time for ourselves. That can be done in different ways. It might be taking a bubble bath, going for a walk, working out in the gym or going shopping. Personally, I find that the most important thing I can do for myself is to have at least one adult conversation on a daily basis. As much as I love spending time with my son, and getting to play with him, if the end of the day comes around (as it did today) and I find that I didn't actually get to speak to another adult, I start to feel like something essential is missing. I'm not sure if it's the need to just talk to someone who's in the same plane of reality as me (as opposed to someone who spontaneously morphs into a monster while we're grocery shopping), or if it's just a want for intellectual stimulation. Whatever it is, I've personally found that part of surviving as a single parent is to pick up the phone and find that adult human contact, even if it's only for five minutes.

No comments: