Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What really matters:

Recently I ended a relationship with someone I had been dating for a few months. There were several reasons, but right at the top of the list was that I didn't like the way he was dealing with my child. Since then I've been thinking about what I really want in a relationship and how much what I'm looking for has changed since I've become a mom. For example, when I was younger I might have wanted someone that was fun and spontaneous, now I want someone that's a little uptight and really into safety standards :) Yep, those geeky types are looking a lot better now that I've grown up a little. Seriously though, I've realized that probably the most important thing I'm looking for is how a person treats my son and myself. Interests might be different, or might change over time, but a man's personality and the way he treats you will generally remain the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel similar in regards to what to look for in a relationship. In my early 20's I was looking for someone who will rather guide me in life and lift me up. I was so wrong and naive... I think that now, in my early 30's I am more ready for a true relationship. What I look for is a loving friendship, something that will last and grow stronger every day. I feel so lucky because my new boyfriend is my son's best friend, I could not ask for more.
By the way- I trully enjoy reading your blog!

ANNA

TC said...

Thanks for your post and your encouragement. I'm glad that you new relationship is going so well. Hopefully we've all grown up in our ideals of what we want and learned a little from our mistakes.